Monday, September 27, 2010

college life

Today was my first day of classes at Bogazici University. The university, considered Turkey's best, is located on the hills above the Bosphorous, near the ancient Rumeli Hisari fortress, built by Mehmet the Conquerer during his conquest of Constantinople, and is above one of the richest neighborhoods in Turkey, Bebek. While the University is public and the vast majority of students and professors are Turkish, the classes are all conducted in English (with only a few exceptions). I moved into the dorms about a week and a half ago and have spent the time getting to know the other exchange students and the campus. I've met students from all over the US and much of Europe (especially from the Netherlands for inexplicable reasons). I have yet to met very many Turks, because most have only moved in the last few days. Because very few of the exchange students speak Turkish or have been to Turkey before, I've been often acting as guide and translator. It's a little funny (and a little nice) because three months ago, newly arrived, I was in the exact opposite position.

I'm currently living in a dorm on campus--the Superdorm. It is set up in apartment style suites, with two, three, or four singles set up with a shared kitchen, common room and bathroom. While the facilities are nice, and it's always good to get your own room, there's a bit of an enforced sterility to it. Putting decorations up in the common areas is banned and the Superdorm seems like it was built to echo any sound. My room also faces an interior courtyard, so when I have the window open I can see into any of the other rooms on the interior courtyard. While this is convenient--if you want to talk to someone you can just yell at their window--it also limits the privacy significantly. Anyone could be looking into your room at any time, especially annoying because most of the room can be seen from the window. As of now, I have one suitemate, Ross. He's from Arizona and is studying history. There is one unoccupied room, which might end up being filled by a Turk. But with each passing day, that gets more unlikely.

I've heard that Superdorm is one of the nicest dorms in Turkey and one of the most progressive--the buildings are all co-ed. It is, however, very expensive and a bit draconian. No overnight guests, for example (despite the ample room on the couches in the common room). I've also heard horror stories about the manager of the dorm. After her heart was broken by an American lover, it is said, she eternally seeks to make the lives of Americans terrible. All of this has given Superdorm (humorous enough anyway), the name of Superprison. It makes you wonder what the worst dorms are like.

We'll see how this week of classes go. I've had two today and I'll post again after I've had them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment